- Best practices for serving LGBTQ youth experiencing homelessness and at-risk youth in out-of-home care in urban areas can often be applied to a rural setting.
- Outreach for LGBTQ youth experiencing homelessness focuses on allowing young people to stay in their communities and bringing services to them, instead of requiring them to uproot themselves in order to access services in urban environments.
- By collecting data through local census surveys in rural communities, the scope of LGBTQ youth experiencing homelessness can be better understood and addressed.
- Making the supports already present in a young person’s life safer and more LGBTQ-friendly through cultural competency training and family reunification counseling services can be more effective at preventing homelessness than removing the young person from the natural supports in their community.
- Prevention is the most effective way to address rural LGBTQ youth homelessness.