- Members of the transgender and gender expansive community are especially vulnerable to housing instability, with 1 in 5 transgender people having experienced homelessness at one point or another in their lives.
- The most frequently cited cause of homelessness amongst transgender youth is family rejection.
- Transgender youth experience homelessness at a younger age than their non-transgender peers.
- Transgender youth of color are at a higher risk of homelessness.
- Once homeless, transgender youth are likely to experience housing instability for longer periods of time than cisgender youth.
- Homeless youth service providers report high levels of victimization among the transgender youth they work with.
- Transgender youth experiencing homelessness are tremendously resilient.
1 in 5 transgender and gender nonconforming people report having experienced homelessness at some point in their lives.